Thursday, September 13, 2012

So Soon!

My life is about to change. Big time. I am going on an adventure.  An adventure where I have so much ahead, yet one that asks me leave so much behind.  In one month and 2 days, I will be heading to Entebbe, Uganda to serve my sweet Jesus for 8 months.

I am sitting here trying to decide how to start this first post.  I think I'll take you to the beginning.  I was born and then...hehe just kidding. My jokes aren't funny, just to give you a heads up. Bear with me:) I graduated from Princess Anne High School in June and decided to take a year off to do mission work before I began college. I felt no peace when the time came to choose a college, and at that same time was introduced to the idea of taking a year off.  After a lot of thought and prayer, I decided to do it.  I remember laying awake at night, being so fearful for my future.  It is all so unknown, and definitely a little frightening! I looked into mission organizations, but was disappointed time and time again. Nothing was working out.

I decided to give it to Jesus and wanted to give up when He started paving a way for me.  The missions minister at my church told me about a pastor from Uganda who was in the states.  He offered to help me meet with him.  I did, and let me tell you, the Holy Spirit was there. As we talked, I felt so much peace and joy. This pastor was willing and excited to let me serve with him for 8 months. Who the heck would welcome me,a silly little American girl, so quickly?  The things I had been worried about were perfect.  I was worried about a language barrier: 65% of them speak English, it is their national language.  I was worried about safety: the place I am going is safe.  I was worried about money: I won't need an outrageous amount.  My parents were hesitant about me going with an organization I found online: they got to meet him in person!  Blessing on blessing on blessing.

I went home and prayed about this opportunity and felt led to pursue it.  Doors were open and I was going to walk through them until one closed( nothin' yet!).  So, as of October 15, 2012, I am going to embark on a journey that will change me.  I will be teaching English in a school and ministering to some orphans that are housed there.  I expect that it will challenge my way of thinking, my comfortable lifestyle, and the way I view Jesus.  I am excited. I am scared.  

It's starting to hit me, I'm realizing just how long I'll be gone.  I am in the process of slowly saying my goodbye's to my best friends and my family.  I have never been away for such a long period of time, and it stirs in me a mix of emotions.  I am SO thrilled that God has called me to this place, challenged my faith, and has pushed me to love Him more. At the same time, leaving the only place you've ever lived is hard.  So soon, it is so soon. 

 "If I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast."  Psalm 139:9-10

I made this blog to share what God teaches me and what experiences I have.  I am definitely not the most eloquent when it comes to writing, but I will do my best for ya!:)  

Below is a picture of the kids  in the school I will be teaching in.  They are celebrating the completion of a project of building toilets (outhouses) for the school.  Humbling, huh?  Seeing their little faces makes me even more excited to meet them!




























 

1 comment: