Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shallow Love vs. Deep Love



I often get asked, “What is God teaching you?”

He has taught me so, so much. But something He has been developing within me, which I am discovering now, is to love DEEPLY.

I’m really good at shallow love. I’m good at loving people just enough but not too much. If I love everyone too much, then my heart will hurt more. I don’t want that. If I love people too much I will care too much and it will become inconvenient for me.

But God tells us to love DEEPLY.

1 Peter 1:22
“… Love one another deeply, from the heart.”

And to be honest, I don’t think we are able to do this without the Lord. I don’t think it’s possible for our sinful and selfish hearts to love the way Christ loved us. Not even close. I think we are capable of shallow love. But with Christ I think we are able to love deeply. It’s something He has been giving me the capability to do more, to more people.

It’s not me, it’s Him. Again, I say…I am good at shallow love.

About a month or so ago the Lord burdened my heart to start a bible study with some preteen/early teen girls.  So I ignored it for a while (I’m really good at that haha). But forreals when you are burdened and it’s from the Lord, it doesn’t go away so easily. Ya feel me?

So I gave up and did it.  The second week I was with them, I had the opportunity to share the gospel with them on a personal level and the vast majority of them gave their life to Christ.  Their attitudes, actions, and smiles have changed.  I am beginning to really and truly invest in them. To love them deeply.  To hug them, pray for them, teach them, laugh with them.  I have done this with students since I have been here. But this is different because God is opening up a much deeper love for me to pour out.

I am sinful and capable of shallow love. But I am being transformed, from the inside out. I learn to love from the One who loved me first. 

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Eric touched on this today. If you let God satisfy you with His love then you will be able to love others the way He has designed. Very good stuff you are learning there! Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete