Friday, December 28, 2012

Christmas Blessings



I have a dear friend with a very sweet heart.  She and her husband wanted to do something for the children I work with, so she gave the orphans an unforgettable Christmas. 

They donated money for me to buy each of them a new set of clothes, shoes, a notebook, a pencil, and a toy.  So Sylvia split up the money and set out to buy the gifts.  She went to get the clothes (we both knew that they would charge more if I came because I’m white) and I got the pencils, notebooks, and toys.  I got some wrapping paper, wrapped up the toys, and packed them into bags to deliver the next day.  I felt like Santa Clause.

Before I continue, I want you to know that this never happens for these kids.  When I say never I mean NEVER.  The majority of Ugandan children don’t get gifts at Christmas. 
I wanted to make it really special for them, so I also got some balloons, soda, lollipops, and cookies.   
We decided to do “Christmas” a week before Christmas for various reasons, so on the 18th I came with all the goods.  We went into the teacher’s office, put their clothes/gifts in piles with their name on top, put out the yummies, and blew up some balloons.  While we were setting up Sylvia was so excited.  She said, “This never happens!  I’ve never seen anything like this in my life!”  We told the kids that the teacher’s office was off limits for the afternoon, which obviously sparked their interest.  However, not enough to have any idea what was behind it’s doors.  After lunch Sylvia told each of them to bathe and put on their nicest clothes.  Okay, now they were seriously curious. 

We lined them up and told them to close their eyes.  We opened the door and while they walked in we sang “We Wish You A Merry Christmas.”  Oh the joy, oh the excitement, oh the…confusion.  It took them a few seconds to realize what was happening because, like I said, this has never happened.  As they opened their gifts and put on their new clothes, squeals of excitement entered the room.  Smiles were not scarce:)

After the madness was over, Godfrey said, “We need to thank the Lord.”  So we did.  We sang a worship song and then all prayed thanking Him for the donors and thanking Him for such an incredible blessing this Christmas.  Even with material gifts, they remember to keep Christ at the center. 

The actual Christmas here was very different from what I am used to.  Christmas morning came and there was no tree, no presents, but happy hearts.  We went to church for a Christmas day service and stayed all day spending time with people.  We ate a lot of food…they sure know how to eat.  Chicken and soda are the main food groups during Christmas.  Hey, I’m not complaining!  In the evening we packed into the car and headed home.  After dinner we just hung out (my grandma-self did a puzzle with them) and then went to bed.  For the most part, it was like a regular Sunday.  The day after Christmas in Uganda is Boxing Day, which is the day you give gifts.  However, the people I work with are not the upper class of Uganda, therefore there are little to no gifts given.  But don’t get me wrong, lots of love was passed around. :)

All in all, Christmas here has reminded me that it is really not about gifts at all.  It’s not about getting “Christmas cheer” or in the “Christmas spirit.”  It’s about loving others and loving our great Lord.  This year I noticed that Christmas was a sad day for God.  It was the day He sacrificed His only Son to come to earth and take on the lowly form of a human.  He also knew that one day soon, the Son He sent would die a criminal’s death.  Realizing this, it made me all the more humble and grateful to the Lord for Christmas.  His sacrifice is our joy.  Thank you dear Lord.











No comments:

Post a Comment